Tuesday, November 24, 2009

When life gives lemons make......preserved lemons


Ok so the saying says "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade". But what about in winter, when lemons from down south are plentiful and it is just too darn cold to drink a glass of lemonade? Well, today I tried making Moroccan Preserved Lemons. I just couldn't watch my lovely fat lemons go nasty because I couldn't use them up fast enough.

So leafing through a few cookbooks, I found a recipe for Morocaan preserved lemons in the Frugal Gourment's Immigrant Ancestors. Recipe is dead simple: take several lemons and quarter them leaving them attached. Take 1/4 c pickling salt, rubbing some into the flesh of the lemons. Place the lemons in a quart jar and cover with lemon juice and the rest of the salt. Put on the counter for 14 days turning over daily. Refrigerate and use.

Now, I have never tried this before so am planning to make a lemon chicken dish when the lemon preserves are ready. Will let you all know how it works out. Sorry the picture isn't very good...but will have more as we go along.

Chris